Ana Montero, is a Registered Social Worker and Psychotherapist who has 20 years experience in community advocacy, individual counselling, group facilitation and support of marginalized communities in Toronto, as well as other cities around the world, such as Lima, Peru.
Ana Montero integrates mindfulness and compassion-based systems of Buddhist psychology, contemporary psychotherapy, ancestral shamanic knowledge of the mind and neuroscience within an anti-oppression, feminist, anti-colonial framework.
Ana’s general perspective about human suffering is trauma-informed (traumatic event, emotional/brain injury, confusion, social isolation, inability to process all this, and inability to integrate all this painful data within the many human systems, neurologically, mentally, spiritually). Her psychotherapy approach is to assist with the systemic integration of the traumatized selves (or processing of painful events) and helping clients become more self-compassionate and mindful of the richness and beauty in their lives. Each client is seen as a precious human being with profound potential to heal her/him/their self and be at peace.
She does this guided by attachment, internal family systems theory, among others, to help her clients create insight and mind-body healing and integration. Main modalities used are: EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing, Internal Family Systems/ Parts Work, Contemplative (mindfulness/compassion) modalities.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE (limited list)
- Engaging Individuals and Their Support Systems in Navigating the MAiD Journey (Laurier University)
- Advanced IFS Training: Birthing the Wise Woman: A Self-Led Menopause Journey
- Advanced IFS Training: Anxiety, Depression and Shame: Helaing the Burdens
- Advanced Training – Internal Family Systems: IFS: Farther Reaches of IFS with Derek Scott – IFSCA.CA
- Advanced Training: EMDR 2.0: An Enhanced Version of EMDR Therapy with Ad De Jongh, Ph.D. and Suzy Matthijssen, Ph.D at EMDR Center of the Rockies
- Internal Family Systems – Skills and Competencies with Derek Scott – IFSCA.CA
- Advanced Training: Strengthening the Authentic Adult Self: EMDR Therapy with Adult Attachment/Developmental Trauma by Debra Wesselmann, MS, LIMHP and Ann Potter, Ph.D.
- EMDR Basic Training through EMDR Center of the Rockies by Tamra Hughes, MA, LPC, an EMDRIA Approved Trainer, EMDRIA Approved Consultant and EMDR Certified Therapist.
- Masters of Social Work -Wilfried Laurier University
- DBT-PTSD: Dialectical Behavioral Therapy For Complex PTSD developed by Martin Bohus, MD, in close cooperation with Marsha Linehan. It is specifically tailored to treat complex PTSD related to childhood abuse. Training through Centre for MindBody Health.
- Bachelor of Social Work – University of Manitoba
- Contemplative Psychotherapy Diploma from Institute of Traditional Medicine in conjunction with Nalanda Institute for Contemplative Science in New York – includes certificates of Mindfulness-based and compassion-based psychotherapies.
- Contemplative End of Life Care (Death Doula) Certificate from Institute of Traditional Medicine
- Applied Mindfulness Specialist Certificate from University of Toronto (2012)
- Transformative Mindfulness Practitioner Program from University of Toronto/Lamp on The Path
- Prior Learning Assessment Program from The College of Midwives of Ontario (2001)
- Apprenticeship – Midwifery – Ixmucane Birth Centre in La Antigua Guatemala (2000)
- Chartered Herbalist Diploma from Dominion College/Owner of Health Food store/facilitator of workshops for women related to physical/emotional wellness through self-care and herbal medicine (1998).
*Links of educational institutions are meant to be helpful for potential clients or colleagues. Some programs have changed/evolved throughout the years.
Ana Montero, MSW, RSW can be reached at wiseheartmedicine @ gmail . com